I love rustic, simple dishes like this one. They are both healthy and hearty. They somehow remind me homemade comfort foods. Roasted kale with fragrant garlic is so crunchy and yummy. Protein-rich eggs are then nestled into the bed of kale, where they gently bake to perfection. Serve with a toast or better yet, with homemade flatbread!
- 120g chopped kale
- 100g mushrooms
- 2 large eggs
- few slices of bacon
- red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- herbs and spices (cumin, sweet paprika, ground garlic, pepper, thyme, turmeric)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- In a large frying pan, over medium-heat, melt some oil. Add chopped mushrooms and fry them until golden brown. Add slices of bacon and chopped onion. Stir well and fry for another 2-3 minuted. Add kale all over the frying pan. Turn down the heat and let it roast untill kale is soft.
- Transfer the pre-cooked veggie-bacon mix into casserole dish, add chopped garlic cloves. Gently crack some eggs onto the mixture, spice it up, and put it inside hot oven.
- Bake kale and eggs for 10 to 15 minutes, until the egg whites are no longer runny. Start check the eggs after 5 minutes to see if the whites have settled. Different ovens distribute heat differently, so the cooking time can vary.
- Pull the casserole out of the oven. You can sprinkle a bit of cheese on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the kale and egg bake with home-made flatbreads or toast.