Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. Powerful Vikings grew oats and ground them to make flour, porridge, flatbreads or ale. They are easy on digestion, and provide important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits. These include blood sugar management, blood pressure control, improved immune system.
Here is an easy, no-fuss recipe that is filling, comforting, and does not skimp on flavor one bit. Cooking flatbreads/pancakes is a areat way to incorporate more oats into your diet.
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons of high protein seeds (sesame, chia etc.)
- 1 teaspoon of whey protein
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinammon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup water + more as needed
- Blend oats into flour, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water, mixing until “just mixed.” It should be a little lumpy and quite thick. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Cook in a hot non-stick pan until bubbles appear in the centre of each pancake. Flip and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve with peanut butter on top.